SC dismisses plea against demolition drive at Shaheen Bagh

New Delhi, 09 May: The Supreme Court has dismissed the petition filed by the CPM Delhi State Committee against the ongoing bulldozer action to remove encroachments in South Delhi.

A bench headed by Justice L Nageswara Rao asked the CPI (M) to approach the Delhi High Court.

The court told the petitioner’s lawyer PV Surendranath that where has the rights of the petitioner been violated in this. The court said that why should we hear the petition of a political party on the issue of removal of encroachment, why no victim came.

The High Court has more powers regarding writ petitions. During the hearing, Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for South Delhi Municipal Corporation, said that we are removing the encroachments as per the order of the court.

The Delhi State Committee of CPM had moved the Supreme Court against the ongoing bulldozer action in South Delhi. The party had said in the petition that illegal removal of encroachment was being carried out.

The party had said that the Municipal Corporation of Delhi is now planning similar action in Shaheen Bagh and other areas between May 9 and 13. It was said in the petition that minorities are being targeted specifically to remove encroachments. Efforts are being made to carry out the encroachment removal action without any prior notice. The party has said that the court should put a stay on this.

On April 21, the Supreme Court had upheld the stay order on the removal of encroachments in Delhi’s Jahangirpuri.

The order was passed by a bench headed by the Justice L. Nageswara Rao.

Prior to that, on April 20, a bench headed by Chief Justice NV Ramana had stayed the removal of encroachments in Jahangirpuri.

The Supreme Court had stayed the removal of encroachments from slums in Sarojini Nagar.

How useful was this News?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 2

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this news.

As you found this news useful...

Follow us on social media!