Washington, April 15: The United States President Donald Trump on Tuesday withheld World Health Organization (WHO) funding for inability to deal with the coronovirus epidemic.
Trump, facing criticism for ways to deal with the worst edidemic in the past century, has reacted angrily. However, Trump’s attitude towards the WHO is becoming increasingly hostile.
Trump said the Geneva-based organization promoted China’s “false information” about the virus, which resulted in the spread of coronavirus widely around the world.
Trump said at a White House news conference on Tuesday that the WHO failed in its core duty and should be held responsible.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said that this is not the right time to reduce resources for WHO.
He said in a statement that it is time for the international community to work together in solidarity to stop the virus and its devastating consequences.
America is the largest donor to WHO. In 2019, the US has contributed more than $ 400 million to WHO, which is about 15% of its total budget.
According to the data, coronavirus, which started in Wuhan city of China at the end of last year, has infected around two million people worldwide and killed more than 124,000 people. More than 2,200 people died of coronavirus in the US only on Tuesday, which is the highest number of deaths in one day so far. As of Tuesday, more than 10,000 people have died of coronavirus pandemic of New York City.